Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My Favorite Erdnase Quotes!

My favorite quote in Erdnase currently is the following, it can be found on page 84 line 1 of the Bible Erdnase edition.
"The art of card palming can be brought to a degree of perfect that borders on the wonderful."
Why is this quote so important? Well, I think it is pretty safe to say that most magicians palm a card like a small child tries to steal a chocolate bar, conspicuously and with a grin of grins on their face. I recall seeing one magician who repeatedly cops cards and removes your selected card from his pocket still in cop. This salient point was mentioned to said magician who immediately disregarded and continued to disappoint audiences, to which he is still doing today. Fortunately he isn't a paid performer in any circumstance. Which leads to my next point, when did it become alright to be bad at magic? I can appreciate one's inability to attain certain skills and even specific techniques in magic, but why settle for the worst techniques and the worst tricks? If you are so passionate about a specific hobby why not learn the best. I'm a touch frustrated as per usual and have decided to remain rather reclusive from the magic community within my local area. If they only knew how much easier magic can become once the requisite skills have been acquired, perhaps the worst magicians we see would put in the time to become good. We all have dreams.

No comments: