Saturday, May 26, 2007

Proper Magician's Attire

Robert Houdin wrote, "It will be hardly necessary, I imagine, to dilate upon the absurdity of wearing the long robe of a magician. Let us leave tinsel and high-crowned hairs hats to mountebanks; the ordinary dress of a gentleman is the only costume appropriate to a high-class conjuror. The most probable result of assuming the conventional garb of a wizard will be to make the wearer an object of derision.
Extremely intelligent words from a brilliant man and top notch co juror. Yet, Magicians rarely follow the advice of this past master. I am constantly and rather consistently shocked at the low quality of garb magicians choose to wear. I don't know about you, but personally I wear nothing but the best, my shirts are made in Italy my suits as well, my socks cost more than some people's suits. How can someone consider wearing a suit that comes to 33 dollars approximately. There are promotions at discount suit clothiers that advertise 3 suits for 99 dollars. Absolutely disgusting! What's worse is people believe this is a deal! That's like being sold a burlap sack and saying its a nice style of shirt, uncut for her pleasure. You make the neck hole, completely custom! When investing in one's self especially as a magician wouldn't you want to be wearing your fee at least. I don't know about others but when I perform you can be damn sure it is not cheap. I am not cheap, my outfit is not cheap and my clients understand, respect and pay me with that in mind.
Another wonderful display is that magician whose tie is enveloped in playing cards, bunnies or something else equally ridiculous. I recall a time when I was filling in for a friend who was meant to fill in for someone else but mis-scheduled slightly. In any case, upon completing this walk around engagement which was at a local eating establishment I recall some wonderful comments, "You're a real magician!" This person was commenting on the comparison between myself and the other magician. "The other guy does bad tricks, you do real magic!" Another wonderful comment and I am glad to hear them but sad to at the same time. Why are other magicians performing cheesy terrible magic that even children find offensive. People are not stupid, your audience doesn't believe a word you say, stop treating them like that and for Christ sake spend the 100 dollars on a nice silk tie!
Once we get past our on 'bunglers' at the tie table, we are of course greeted with the shoes... polished? No no no! Why polish your shoes? "I am going for a casual look" Yes, so are the homeless who are wearing similar shoes that have been thrown out and are not polished as well. At least the homeless fellow is taken seriously for his vocation you simply are imitating the poor person. If you dress like rubbish, you will look like rubbish, and if you look like rubbish you will be treated accordinsly. Get soine decent clothes people, please!

1 comment:

differingopinion said...

In opinion, a hobo can entertain if the actual magic is good enough. I think you're assuming everyone is quite as concerned with attire as you are...