Monday, May 7, 2007

Stocking and Culling with Erdnase

I don't quite understand why, but, I have a terrible phobia for the culling and stocking sections of the beautiful book that is Erdnase. I can't quite put it into words but I imagine it is the same thing I see in people who fear palming or haven't worked to a specific technique yet. I simply haven't matured into that section of the book.
There in lies the beauty of Erdnase; it is a book you mature with and into. Those that recommend it right off the bat are erring in that they are handing Steinbeck to a 5 year old. They simply can't do it yet. Even though they might want to, the individual simply hasn't reached that point in maturity. I believe you hit puberty when you pick up Erdnase and start to devour it. Much like a young adult being exposed to sexuality in school and otherwise. Erdnase is the book that separates the men from the boys. With that in mind; are you one of the men or the boys? There is no wrong or right answer. Simply a question and perhaps foreshadowing where you could be moving in the future. I can certainly say I will be moving towards the Culling and Stocking sections eventually. But right now I am quite content in studying, analyzing and enjoying Systems of Palming (particularly Top Palm, First Method). The move is brilliant and a careful read will give the requisite details for the move.
My most recent discovery is that the right hand holds the break as the left hand squares. But immediately following the square the palm is made. SO, when do you pick up the break? As the cards move from a dealers grip to a finger tips grip for the square? As the right hand pick up the deck from the table? Still something I am playing with of course but I think the move is nearly competent enough to move to something else.
Like Michael Skinner advocated, magic and sleights are like gems. You need to pull them out polish them up then put them away taking a new gem out to polish. Of course you need to find the gems to polish first and foremost. Fortunately for us all, Erdnase is a mine full of gem!

No comments: